Saturday 17 May 2014

Rip off Britain? Come to France!

I have lost count how much time I have spent over the years in France. Its a Country that I thought I would always love but in some respects its changed drastically and not for the better. I always think of France as clean and cultured with beautiful countryside and lovely people. I never visited France because it was cheap but now...?!
OK so I left Alicante and drove to the north of Spain. I then led a Tour right down to Granada and back up again. Total cost for incredible roads, good services and facilities 56 euros. I hasten to add everything was spotlessly clean. Campsite facilities were immaculate with warm hot showers.
I drove into France no signs 'welcome to France'. The first greeting I got was a peage! I'm not at Paris yet and I've already spent 86 euros! I stopped only once at a service area. I paid 6.40 for two coffees in a paper cup! The tables weren't dirty they were disgusting! There weren't enough toilets...oh I won't go there!
I have now stayed on two 4/5 star campsites and the comparison is bleak for France. Yes they are pretty. Yes they are in great locations but outside toilets still? Showers that are cold? They are light years behind the rest of Europe now. Hungary, Czech republic even Romania's could get that bit right! Surely its not rocket science! The campsites in France used to lead the way. Not anymore! Think twice or have very deep pockets if you want to travel around France! All that said where else could I camp in the grounds of a lovely chateau?!



Well I've got another 100 miles to do today ( if I can afford it!) If not you might just find me asking for a job to clean those tables or logos!

No comments:

Post a Comment