Monday 4 August 2014

A very different week!

Well we left the lovely little municipal and headed south. We stayed a couple of nights in a municipal near Left Gorges du Tarn which was a beautiful area. The municipal was OK if a little overgrown and headed to the south coast in high season without a booking. Am I mad?! Many of the commercial sites are charging 75 euros a night and they are full! Oo LA LA! My northern blood wouldn't let me pay that much. I found a municipal near Meze and Beziers that I thought was worth a try. The easiest bit was getting booked on the site at 17 euros a night-the difficult bit was getting to it. The French decided to dig up the bloody road and put up a deviation. Whoever thought a deviation around a medieval town with a caravan on the back was a good idea?! I took this snap but basically at this point the roads were like motorways!
Having kicked Dave out the car to go and physically walk to look for different approaches a lovely French lady in a car asked me what the problem was...like it wasn't obvious?!  Do I normally camp on the side of a narrow street?! Eventually after declaring that the deviation was 'complicated, ( understatement!) She finally said 'follow me!" I threw David back in the car and chased this mad French woman across the countryside and to the campsite. She was right 'complicated?!" I'd still be on that bloody street or at least a divorce court!
The site was basic but pleasant. 17.50 a night. A little restaurant on site and bar. Cleanish sanitary facilities but the place was full so we were lucky to get on. It was supposed to have WiFi but that was constantly down. The area was lovely though. Meze was superb

The little town that I had driven around lost with the caravan was also pretty when I went back to discover it on foot.

Now what I don't understand is if the romans and medieval folk were so clever why didn't they build towns suitable for my caravan?. Hmm an advanced driving course complete with caravan! 
Camping next to us was a retired French couple in a tent. Well come to that everyone was French except us but hey ho! They seemed pleasant and exchanged pleasantries. They spent a lot of time out and we wondered where they disappeared to. The next day we drove out the campsite and I saw a lot of tents on a field. I instantly thought " market. Shopping!" So off we went. What a surprise we got. Our neighbour dressed in a skirt as a Roman soldier! It was a re enactment thingy. The following day they all walked...no marched through the campsite

It takes all sorts to make a world! Our neighbour is the guy at the very front and they call us " crazy anglaise?!"
Well after four nights there we escaped the Roman Invasion and managed to get on to a commercial site...75 euros a night! Getting to Domains due LA Yole was a sheer pleasure except for the volume of traffic on the A9. We stopped for a break at the quirkies coffee shop ever

It even had free WiFi! I fell in love with it but coffee at 9 euros for 2 in a paper cup?! Thank the lord I didn't ask for a big cup!
Well so here we are on a 4 star or it could be 5 star campsite and after some of the municipals I can't say I'm that impressed at the moment. Yes there is entertainment on. There must have been 300 people watching the band last night....they were quite good..maybe its just my age?! WiFi 25 euros for two weeks ouch! You are very honoured!
So far I have decided that I definitely prefer South of France in high season compared to Spain. Yes its hot but its not humid. You can park near the beaches and get on them. You can easily get in a pool. The downside is that ..wait for it the price of food! 10 euros for a chicken at Carrefour! Steak was cheaper! The roads are busy and all the campsites are. The big difference so far between municipals and commercial sites apart from the price is language. All the commercial sites speak as much english as they do French but on the municipals its French and we were something of a novelty..they are probably still laughing at my French but at least I had a go and survived!
So its another lovely sunny day here with a beautiful warm breeze. Will it be the pool or the beach? Hmmm too many decisions for this time in the morning. Cuppa tea time me thinks..au revoir! Bon journee!









No comments:

Post a Comment